Monday, June 25, 2012

Children's Books Adults Love


There are so many great books written for children and youth that adults can really enjoy.  The titles I'm thinking of will come as no surprise, especially with so many of them being book-turned-movie material.  I feel they warrant mention in any case.  If you haven't read these books, most are real page-turners with some truly wonderful universal themes on life.

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
The Golden Compass Series by Phillip Pullman
The Hobbit Series J.R.R. Tolkien
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein


There is one book I would add to the list, that I haven't seen popularized the way I feel it should be. Before Beansprout was born we went to a talk by author, David Bouchard.  He spent a lot of time talking about the importance of reading to boys and expressed how determined he became to read more himself so he would be a role model for his own boys.  When one of the audience members asked him for some of his favorite reads we were frantically writing them down.  However, he spent time a bit of time explaining his experience with one book in particular, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo.  He wasn't lying when he warned that you shouldn't read the book in public - I cried big sobs at the end.   This is a wonderful book for older children and would make for a great read aloud (except that I would never get through it with all of my tears!)  It's book I highly recommend and one I think adults will also really enjoy!

It's so hard to write these lists, knowing that readers must have wonderful lists of their own!  I would love to hear what you would add -- what children's/youth literature have you enjoyed as an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment