Monday, December 5, 2011

Advent Calendar Traditions

Advent Calendar 2011

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was working on a Pinterest-inspired Advent calendar!  It is (finally) complete, albeit a few days late.  I hope you'll come back for a weekly post showing all that my little Beansprout did to countdown and prepare for Christmas!

Counting down the days 'til Christmas is such a wonderful tradition.  I can remember having the paper link chains and my fair share of the chocolate window variety, but it was my year studying in Germany many years ago that opened my eyes to a whole new way of approaching the Advent calendar.  My "German Mom" sent me a fabric calendar with 24 little gifts affixed to round red rings.  I was in heaven.  I learned what Raffaelo candies were, gave walnut cracking a try, and learned that sometimes the simplest gift can make your day.  A new tradition was born.

Upon returning home, I began to gift one to a family member or friend every year.  It was so much fun thinking of little gifts that would fit and to imagine the delight of the person who got a nice treat throughout most of December.  In recent years, I have only had the energy to create them for our niece and nephews, and as more nephews came, I decided I had to have an age limit.  This year the two youngest of the group get to keep the tradition going.  I pulled out the flat rate shipping box, the Santa treat bags, and some tissue paper, wrapped everything up and sent them off via USPS.  I hope the little guys are enjoying the socks, Christmas crafts, stickers, and books that will help them count down!

Do you have any Advent Calendar traditions?  Do you remember counting down until the big day as a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment