Sunday, October 9, 2011

31 Days of Play! Kids Playing Solo.

Monster trucks!

I am no expert, so I don't claim to know much about age-appropriate play, but at just shy of 2 1/2, I'm thrilled to see that Beansprout can easily spend 20-30 minutes at play by himself.  It's interesting to observe him engrossed with his trains or his trucks or his animals . . . the trick is watching without being noticed!  I love to see what he's doing and how he's playing, but always fear too many looks from my direction will throw him off and the moment will be over.  I try to listen in as he whispers to himself, so wishing I could know what he was thinking!

Trains below.

I think everyone needs some time for solo play, but I imagine the only child must master it.  Having had a sibling close in age, I don't really know what it will be like for our one-and only.  My sister and I could always count on each other for play even in the most boring of situations.  Though it's not always what he wants, it's a relief to know that Beansprout is able to find such pleasure creating play for himself.  And even though I worry that I won't always understand his childhood experiences, the little bit I have read about play indicates that solitary play builds a stronger imagination.  That, of course, remains to be seen, but I can definitely appreciate the beauty in being able to entertain yourself anywhere you go.

Have you enjoyed reading about play?  You can read more here, as I'm exploring play everyday for the month of October!

No comments:

Post a Comment